Whitchurch Town Association - Town Action Plan Projects

Status as at 27th May 2005

 

Changes since last report are shown in ITALICS

 

Initiative No. (Category)

Description

WTA Sub Group leader in bold

(= Co opted)

<= WTC Cllr>

Current Status

1 Economy

Tourism Projects to:

 

·         Encourage More Visitors to the Town

·         Bring More revenue to the Town

Susan Flawith

Phil Cooper

Harriet Titcomb

<Gill Nethercott>

(Derek Verran)

(Stephen Bryer)

Funding shortfall – Town Guide and Circular Walks reprint/update. Requires local authority funding or external funding application when WTA is constituted.

Photography (Jake) now completed. Opportunity for leaflet rack in entranceway to Brockenhursts.

Sub group mtng 4th May agreed Town Guide layout and content headings. Next stage is to approach subject matter experts to write content.

 

2 Environment

Town Centre Project:

·         Improve appearance of Town Centre

·         Advise on and encourage building restoration

Harriet Titcomb

<Gill Nethercott>

Tony Corbin

Derek Verran

Keith Watts

New sub committee formed 19th Jan 05. Still to meet and consider way forward. Opportunity from HCC Env (Chris Williams) Country Towns Initiative – may allocate monies to suitably argued Whitchurch Town Centre initiatives (e.g. Alleyway improvements/planting etc.)

Joint meeting to be held in June (prov. 15th June 2.30pm) with Business Dev sub group to plan and prioritise actions.

 

3 Community

One Stop Shop:

·         Town Hall utilisation for Community group usage

·         Tourist Information point

 

(Cathy Burt)

Liz Dermody

Tony Corbin

19th Jan WTA meeting proposed Town Hall could be a meeting venue for proposed Community Support Officers and Wardens (e.g. with the public). Waiting thoughts/response from WTC.

4 Economy

Town Business Support & Development:

 

·         Improve economic viability of the town

·         Support/funding for business start ups

·         Encourage collaborative activity

Tony Corbin

Stewart Parrington

(Ed Beckmann – BLWx)

(John Mitchell – Enterprise First)

(Drewett Neate – Comm’l Agency)

(Testbourne Bus Forum members)

 

Town Hall now being used (Tues) for BLWx 1 to 1 one-hour business advice clinics.

 

Newbury Building Soc has shown an interest in participating in Business led community activities.

 

Next Testbourne Bus Club meeting is on Wed 8th June – Newbury Bldng Soc will attend.  Meeting TC/SP 20th May outlined possible ‘retailer’ initiatives. SP to informally meet 1 to 1 with local retailers to test ideas and will report at proposed 15th June mtng.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

5 & 6 now Merged Transport

Traffic Mgmt Projects

a)       Reduced HGV through traffic volumes

 

 

 

 

 

 

b)       Town Gateway project and environmental calming scheme

Derek Verran

Tony Corbin

(Reg Kimpton)

Chris Setters

(Keith Pauw HCC)

(Cathy Burt)

(John Wall)

 

 

 

Greg Harris

Susan Flawith

<Gill Nethercott>

Chris Setters

< R Dykes>

<Cllr B. Jackman>

(John Wall)

Harriet Titcomb

Tony Corbin

(Jamie Daly B&DBC)

 

 

 

Keith Pauw HCC has confirmed HGV survey successfully completed on Tues 26th April (7am-7pm). Preliminary results expected early July. Could this be at a joint WTA sub group/WTC meeting?

 

It would also be helpful for WTA to understand from WTC overall Traffic Calming project status (inc parking plans etc)

 

B&DBC to be asked for an update on alternative lower cost Gateway designs that would retain key elements of winning design but with costs acceptable to HCC Highways Mtc.

7 Community

Local History ‘Display area

·         Accessible display and Learning centre for local artefacts

TBC <Gill Nethercott>

Harriet Titcomb

Tony Corbin

<Cllr. A Wall>

History Soc TBC)

(B&DBC TBC)

 

Longer term initiative subject to granting of planning approval for new Library and completion of Community Hall

8 Community

IT/Internet Public access:

·         Individual Learning and Information Points

 

Janet Palmer

Phil Cooper

(Linda Cowley)

<Gill Nethercott>

Longer term initiative subject to granting of planning approval for new Library and completion of Community Hall

9 Community

Young People’s Facilities:

·         Youth Suite Refurbishment

·         Young people’s amenities

Acting Leader

Harriet Titcomb

Janet Palmer TBC

Susan Flawith TBC

<Alison Wall>

Liz Dermody

<P. Turner>

Derek Verran

Keith Watts

Harriet T has attended meetings initiated by Cllr. Jackman and has offered support from WTA sub group members.

 

Cllr. Jackman has indicated that after his next meeting, it may be relevant to update WTA sub group on progress and plans. Meantime, HT will speak to JP/SF and others re possibly joining sub group

 

Newbury Building Soc has shown a willingness to support any initiatives. 

 

10 Transport

Community Bus

(Cathy Burt)

Project Closed – Jan 05 – as apparently working satisfactorily.

 

11. Comms

Communications Project:

·         House Style for WTA materials

·         Web site inc open forum for feedback

·         Internal/external and stakeholder comms model

 

 

 

Phil Cooper

John Buckley

(Steve Hoffmann)

(? Cathy Burt)

Tony Corbin

Very positive meeting 26th April with Cllrs. Robbins & Abate. This agreed in principle that the proposed Community magazine (quarterly) <the Whitchurch Web> would reference ‘Eye’ in the masthead and incorporate ‘Eye’ content submitted by WTC.

 

Proposal was also supported in principle at the May WTC full Council. WTC production budget for ‘Eye’ could possibly go towards cost of the new magazine.

 

Next WTA step is to secure full funding (sponsorship) – TC/JB met with Newbury Building Society 25th May – decision mid June. Final presentation to WTC when funding secured.

12.

Constitution of WTA

Leader TBC

Keith Watts

<A. Wall>

Harriet Titcomb

Tony Corbin

(Ctty Hall Group members)

(J. Balcombe B&DBC Community Officer)

(HCC Legal)

<R Dykes>

Constitution will make WTA publicly accountable and enable bids for funds not available to Local Authorities to be made. Meetings involve new Ctty Hall committee members.

 

Keith Watts has resigned his leadership of the group min order to focus on other project areas and meet his many other commitments. A new leader of the sub group is needed

 

Otherwise, progress continues to be made, last joint meeting on 23rd May, next meeting 23rd June. Plan is for a formal launch/event in September – ideas to attract interest and involvement of local residents welcome.

 

A draft constitution document has now been drawn up and will be distributed shortly to all interested parties for comment. WTC Members wishing to receive a copy should please advise TC.