Whitchurch Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 29, 2007, 09:06:13 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
163 Posts in 32 Topics by 48 Members
Latest Member: nhjhysdf
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Whitchurch Forum
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Evening buses cut
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Evening buses cut  (Read 1310 times)
Keith Watts

Email
Evening buses cut
« on: July 24, 2007, 06:04:43 pm »

Evening bus services on route 76 through Whitchurch will be cut when the new timetable applies in September / October.� This is the result of a decision made today by the Executive Member for Environment at Hampshire County Council.

The services to be cut will be the 20.45 and 23.40 to Andover and the 19.27 and 22.22 to Basingstoke, Monday to Saturday.

The Friday & Saturday services at 22.15 to Andover and at 20.57 to Basingstoke will continue.

regards

Keith
thewhitorg
Administrator

Email
Re: Evening buses cut
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 08:06:11 pm »

This is important news for Whitchurch - why is it that it is only being made known "after the event"?
kot

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 11:17:27 pm »

This is important news for Whitchurch - why is it that it is only being made known "after the event"?

Quite. Consultation with local people doesn't seem to be an item politicians consider.

And let's be honest about this. It means Whitchurch will have NO weekday evening buses.
This is devastation. We cannot visit our main towns for the services, events and facilities WE PAY FOR through ever increasing community charges and taxes.

This means the last weekday buses are:

Whitchurch to Basingstoke: 1827, (was 1927 and 2222) 
Basingstoke to Whitchurch: now 1910, (was 2010 and 2305)
Whitchurch to Andover: now 2011 (was 2045 and 2340)
Andover to Whitchurch: 1810, (was 1910 and 2205)

This will hit the youth hardest.
The young will leave as soon as they can, and the Town will die a lingering death.
Why run a business here when the future generations will be leaving.

Well done all concerned  Angry
dave

Email
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 10:21:48 am »

Hi
Would you please let us know what actions you took to try to stop this cut?

Thanks

David
thewhitorg
Administrator

Email
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 03:37:27 pm »

Dave,

The saga to date is on www.76bus.org.uk - basically no action has been taken because I only found out just before the decision meeting took place - that's why I asked why no one had been informed - my email to our County Councillor on the subject remains unanswered.

We are therefore only left with damage limitation in the form of a protest to get the decision revoked. I believe this requires a vote by the full council. I am looking to get support from Whitchurch, Hurstbourne Priors and Overton, all of which are affected

Phil
dave

Email
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 03:46:45 pm »

Hi
I have also emailed our County Coucillor, lest see if he bothers to answer me.

Dave
thewhitorg
Administrator

Email
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 04:02:35 pm »

Holding your breath whilst waiting for a reply could prove fatal!!

Phil
Keith Watts

Email
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 12:02:09 pm »

The evening buses will NOT now be cut because Basingstoke & Deane Borough Council decided at a meeting on Tuesday to step in to fund the service for the rest of this Financial Year and probably until July 2008.� This decision had the support of all political groups on the Council.�

The Borough Council will be carrying out a comprehensive review of public transport before the new funding arrangement expires.� I will notify this forum when the opportunity for public input is known.

The reason that this thread was started so late is that the County Council only gave six days notice of the decision being taken and I publicised it through other channels until John Buckley reminded me of this one.

Please note that Hampshire County Council is the Passenger Transport Authority, the Borough Council is using discretionary powers to alleviate the situation, as it did for the Sunday bus service two years ago, but this cannot go on being repeated - by far the largest part of our Council Tax goes to the County Council.

John B has suggested that we form a local Passenger Forum.� Any volunteers to do some work on that?

regards

Keith
thewhitorg
Administrator

Email
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 07:54:23 pm »

I've had a wee while to think about the latest postings on this thread and Traffic Calming/ Speed Bumps.

If there is such a head of steam about these transport related issue why not combine them using the vehicle (no pun intended) of the Whitchurch Association Transport Action Plan Group.

The Action Plan has always been and should be dynamic so adding to/modifying the direction of the work is logical. The group has a "legal" status it is part of a recognised charity. It can operate as in integral part of the WA, or if it wants to really use its clout, it can become a section.

Forming another group or groups (one for transport users and another to look at speed related issues) is fragmentary utilising an existing organisation whose aims include to:

a)   Promote the benefit of the inhabitants of  the parish of Whitchurch and the surrounding hamlets of Litchfield, Woodcott, Tufton, Dunley and Hurstbourne Priors (hereinafter called �the area of benefit�) without distinction of sex, sexual orientation, race or of political, religious or other opinions, by associating together the said inhabitants and the local authorities, voluntary and other organisations in a common effort to advance education and to provide facilities in the interests of social welfare for recreation and leisure-time occupation with the object of improving the conditions of life for the said inhabitants;

b)   Secure the preservation, protection, development and improvement of features of   historic or public interest and to promote high standards of planning and architecture;

Additionally there are already communications streams set up in the form of the WA e.list, this forum and the 76bus website - or shall we set up an executive sub-committee to review and report back on the feasibility of inventing a wheel like object?

Phil

I'll copy this to the WA Committee
Keith Watts

Email
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 03:31:09 pm »

I think there is a good case for a separate Passenger Transport Forum as suggested by John B, including:
�   drawing in new people who are dependent on or enthusiasts for public transport
�   recognition by public authorities and county or regional PT Fora
�   aiming for mass membership - not compatible with Section Status in WA.
�   possibly extending its membership to Laverstoke & Overton who share bus and rail routes with us

best wishes

Keith
thewhitorg
Administrator

Email
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 03:58:12 pm »

Keith,

I'm not aware of any size constraint on a WA Section or Action Plan Team.

The idea of yet another body trying to fight its particular corner when there is a suitable umbrella exists with the beginnings of a recognisable status seems strange - try looking at the Volunteers page on the website to see how many groups need support (and those are only the ones that I know of)
Keith Watts

Email
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 04:12:00 pm »

Sections are comprised of Members of WA.
thewhitorg
Administrator

Email
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 09:03:41 pm »

So, join the WA and benefit from a discount on using the GNCH. Then maybe the WA can subsidise the Youth Club's use of the Hall!!
Daniel

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 07:52:14 pm »

Hello, I am Daniel. I am new in here. Well connected with Whitchurch. I tend to have some rather sharp views that don't always meet to peoples taste, so I apologise in advance if I ruffle any feathers.

With relation to the buses. I don't tend to think we should subsides services myself. However, I cannot see why a bus service from Andover to Basingstoke does not cover it's costs and I can't help but think that Stagecoach were not trying to hold the County & Local Council to ransom.

Perhaps if cuts were needed the evening/Sunday 76 could be re-routed to take up the Oakley portion of the route and they could have dropped the number '8' feeding Oakley. In honesty, and although it is not a specific Whitchurch issue (more an Overton Oakley one), it would be useful to re-route this bus through Oakley to allow easy commutes to the Overton/Oakley doctors. This would add around 10 minutes to the journey.

It looks like the danger is over for now as B&DBC have stepped in to cover the missing funding. However, with Oakley now feeding children into the excellent Testbourne - and with Countywide travel going down the pan, that extra bit of a route may be of benefit. I wonder what people here think?
thewhitorg
Administrator

Email
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 08:04:37 pm »

Daniel,

Your suggestion of combining the 76 and 8 routes, in the evenings at least, do seem to be logical.

Thanks for your input

Phil
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: