Whitchurch Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 07, 2007, 07:31:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
172 Posts in 35 Topics by 52 Members
Latest Member: bigdreds
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Whitchurch Forum
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Town Mill Bridge closure
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Town Mill Bridge closure  (Read 121 times)
sevenyears

Town Mill Bridge closure
« on: October 22, 2007, 02:45:46 pm »

Hants CC have declared the bridge unsafe.� This bridge is crossed by hundreds of children & their carers going to & from the primary & secondary schools.� The only alternative route is to go into the middle of the town and out again.� Please bring all the pressure you can to bear on the Rights of Way Officer to encourage the quick repair of this vital footpath.� I have spoken to Dorothy at HCC this afternoon to stress that as walking to school should be highly encouraged, the council should make mending or replacing this bridge a priority.�

thewhitorg
Administrator

Email
Re: Town Mill Bridge closure
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 09:32:11 pm »

From a conversation I had with Cathy Burt (Town Clerk) last night the problem is getting messy in that I believe the bridge needs completely replacing and, because part of the replacement will be in the river/its banks, thew Envirionment Agency has to be involved.

This will extend the time taken to do any replacement work, which Cathy had previously been told would take ~2 weeks so we are now looking at 4+ weeks and that may be a conservative estimate - the Lib dems may do better after last Thursday (but I doubt it)� Cheesy

I've asked Cathy for an update to put on the website

Phil
Graham Burgess

Email
Re: Town Mill Bridge closure
« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:44:57 PM »

Key questions are to do with Planned Maintenance. Is anything else about to collapse due to heavy use; poor design etc.
Are we going to get high quality, substantial design for our town centre improvements or another high cost mess like the central granite pimple that has cost �6K to repair since it went in ?

I do not pay a lot of tax so I really should not complain and the bridge at the bottom of The Weir seems to be quite sound should I wish to walk by the river.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: