Whitchurch Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 07, 2007, 07:21:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
172 Posts in 35 Topics by 52 Members
Latest Member: bigdreds
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Whitchurch Forum
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Elections
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Elections  (Read 872 times)
kot

Elections
« on: March 17, 2007, 10:44:17 am »

With the Local Elections coming up in May, wouldn't it be good if we had someone who was under retirement age stand.
Come on youngsters of Whitchurch, let's have a someone under 30 who still believes in what is best for the people, rather than their own self-importance.

kot
dave

Email
Re: Elections
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 09:18:00 am »

Hi
I am new to the Forum so hello. I agree with your comments but the problem is time, younger people with families do not have the time required to do the job properly consequently its only the older population who run and ultimately get elected. We moved to Whitchurch from Enfield 20 years ago and the town has been very good to us, I would love to give something back but working in the City means that I do not have much spare time. For a few years I was a member of Friends of the Silk Mill but due to petty issues and extreme narrow mindedness on the part of the management I felt I had to leave, I think this may also be an issue within local politics.
thewhitorg
Administrator

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 04:32:09 pm »

Dave,

Sadly, in any community, and probably more so the smaller the community, there are narrow minded persons/groups.

A few of us are trying to break the mould, in a group called Working 4 Whitchurch. It is based on Town Centre business folk with a few (well 2) residents.

We have run a couple of succesful events in the past couple of years and are planning several more over the next 6 months. More than this we had a core part in the bid for the �120,000 improvement grant recently awarded. We therefore are having a major say in how it (together with the original �120,000 from local councils) will be spent.

We therefore think we can make a difference, without politicians and clicques. If you're interested, we'd welcome your support (however little time you have)

Phil
kot

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 11:54:43 am »

Hi
I am new to the Forum so hello. I agree with your comments but the problem is time, younger people with families do not have the time required to do the job properly consequently its only the older population who run and ultimately get elected. .....For a few years I was a member of Friends of the Silk Mill but due to petty issues and extreme narrow mindedness on the part of the management I felt I had to leave, I think this may also be an issue within local politics.

You are right Dave, although it would be good if some of the younger people would not so much get involved, as that implies  following an existing established system, but actually stand up on their own right.
My own experience is that if 'oldies' try and encourage younger groups, they  need to tread very carefully as they are often viewed as being patronising.
There are many groups in Whitchurch trying to make the town a better place, and it is shame when the local 'narrow-mindedness' you have experienced gets in the way as it can be destructive. Happily it usually tends to destroy itself first and often consumes the originators  Cheesy
There is always the fall back that if you want something done or wish to do something - do it yourself.
It usually works out best, but if it doesn't you have only yourself to blame   Grin

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: